Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Muslin Madness!

I have been a muslin-making machine!  In the past 2 days I have made 2 muslins, one for Sarah's Civil War bodice and one for my sacque.  Well, Sarah's muslin fitting didn't go too smoothly... let's just say that it was a tad too small and must be let out.  That's not too big of a hassle, though.  I haven't sewn together the muslin for my sacque yet, but holding it up to me, it looks just right.  Also, it kind of helps that a sacque is not fitted!  The pattern I'm using is from the Wisconsin Historical Society (Patterns of History #1865).  It is currently out of print but can be found for the lovely discounted rate of $5.00 at www.sewingcentral.com .  The pattern actually comes with directions for the sacque (deemed a paletot by the pattern, but it's a little too short to be a paletot), a bodice, skirt, AND a cage crinoline!  The last one was a pleasant surprise to me!  However, the dress style is a little late in the Civil War time period, so it can't be used as widely as other dresses.  Oh well!  The sacque will be made with the extra raspberry wool I have left over from my dress, lined with black polished cotton and trimmed with velvet ribbon.  I can't wait to get started!

--Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment